peanut butter smooothie bowl with date caramel
Long time no chat, friends! I hope you are all doing marvellously wherever you may be in the world. With the year 2018 nearing its last standing ovation, I would like to share little nuggets of bite-sized thoughts and life reminders that I have been pondering over as we move into yet another 365 days to make magic, drive change and share love - and continue to eat epic, nutritious and life-giving vegan food (more on this later)!
1. Change limiting beliefs: See failure as a beginning, not an end.
2. Achieve your dreams: If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.
3. Strive for excellence: Do more than what is expected of you.
4. Have a beginner’s mind: Assume nothing and question everything.
5. Let go of what doesn’t serve you: To find freedom, make peace with the past.
6. Trust your gut: Stop thinking so much and start acting.
7. Be the watcher of your thoughts: When the war in your mind ends, peace emerges.
8. Follow your own path: Don’t compare yourself to others.
9. Connection is the antidote to powerlessness: Step up, listen and share with an open heart and mind.
10. Collaborate and support: The strength of community is each individual member. The strength of each member is the community.
So we know that life will always be throwing us curve balls, right - and 2019 probably won’t be much different. But we can reframe these bouncing, difficult-to-catch curve balls as lessons that we are finally ready to learn from and understand. When we can see each challenge as a gift from the universe that is saying “Well done, I can see you are ready to handle this”, then every tough moment becomes a blessing - and much easier to face and overcome.
So on that note, here is a delicious blessing, in the form of a protein-packed, vegan smoothie bowl recipe. Peanut butter and banana has been one of my favourite combos to eat ever! So when Wazoogles came out with their new PB flavour, I was over the moon. As always, it has a great balance of flavour and is filled with all the wholesome things you need to have when you start your day. I threw in some extra greens to my bowl this morning, including spinach, zucchini and microgreens, and added in a sneaky dash of creamy coconut yogurt from Yokos.
PS - if you don’t have peanut butter flavoured protein powder, you can always add some real PB or almond butter instead. You can also replace it with a simple vanilla vegan protein powder too.
Epic smoothie bowls and nice cream bowls here we come! I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did!
2 frozen bananas (peeled, cut and frozen)
1 cup frozen blueberries
1/2 frozen zucchini
1/3 cup plain Yokos coconut yogurt
1 cup spinach
1 scoop Wazoolges Peanut Butterlicious Protein Powder (alternatively, use 2-3 tbsp peanut butter)
1 tsp spirulina
Pinch of cinnamon and a dash of vanilla extract
For the Toppings:
Date caramel (see method below)
Goji berries and dried mulberries
Nut butter of choice (I used ButtaNut)
Soak 1 cup of dates in hot water for about 5 minutes.
In a food processor, blend the dates with the leftover water, adding more as you go, until super smooth. Set aside.
Blend the ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Feel free to add some water to help you out.
Place the smoothie in a bowl, decorate with your favourite toppings and swirl in the lovely date caramel. Spoon it up and enjoy!