quick vegan chocolate mug cake
For a quick and not-so-dirty dessert, this warming, comforting and surprisingly healthy mug cake, seems to have it all.
It's winter and it's cold (yes, even in tropical Durban!). I wanted to eat something that would feel like a hug from the inside of my tummy. It needed to be sweet, chocolatey and hot to warm me up from the inside out. So I made a mug cake.
The above line must be said in your best infomercial voice!
This recipe is gluten free, sugar free, dairy free and high in plant protein! This is also a fun breakfast option - who said you can't have dessert in the morning? What more could you ask for in a dessert?! Not much. I think we've covered all our bases.
Let's give this easy, vegan chocolate mug cake a whirl - in one minute!
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 1 min
3 tbsp gluten free flour
1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tbsp Wazoogles Chocolate Moondust Protein Powder
1 tbsp homemade date paste (see steps below)
1/2 mashed ripe banana
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp almond butter
3 tbsp soy milk
To make the date paste:
Soak 5 medjool dates in hot water for 5 minutes. Remove some of the water and then mash with a fork until the dates smooth out in a paste-like consistency.
Then continue with the vegan mug cake:
- Add the dry ingredients to a bowl and mix together until combined.
- Add the wet ingredients and stir together.
- Add the wet to the dry ingredients and everything mix together.
- Transfer to a large mug or into two small mugs. Finally, top with more almond butter, date paste and a piece of dark chocolate (optional but highly recommended!).
- Place in the microwave for 1 minute. If it hasn’t risen enough, put in the microwave for another 30 seconds. Serve hot!
Stay warm, friends.
- Francesca xx